Hard to believe, but it seems like we made it past another winter(for the most part!). While some of us aren’t bothered by staying indoors, there are plenty of people who prefer to do their exercise outdoors. Before you go for a run, we wanted to go through our 7 tips for an injury free Spring!
7 Tips for an Injury Free Spring
- Consult your physical therapist. We’re here for you! If you’re not sure how much is too much, we can help evaluate your current condition and get you back to safe, injury free exercise.
- Take it slow. Just because you do well on a treadmill, it doesn’t mean you can push as hard on the pavement. Our bodies will adapt to the conditions we are in, and pavement is not the same as a treadmill. Take it easy to build up your intensity over time. Your muscles and joints will thank you later.
- Wear protective equipment when applicable. If you love riding bikes, remember to wear a helmet. If you play a pickup game of football at the park, bring a knee brace if you need it. The worst thing you can do is assume you don’t need protection just because you forgot it at home. It’s not worth the injury!
- WARM UP! A majority of injuries are prevented by a proper warm up. And we’re not talking about static stretching, we’re talking about a real warm up. This is a critical step that a lot of people forget to do before a workout, and it’s the biggest cause of injuries.
- Take Breaks. Getting back into your favorite outdoor activities is always great. But you don’t need to pose for a Rocky style montage either. Take some breaks, enjoy the scenery, and build your intensity up over time.
- Drink plenty of fluids! You might ask, how does this cause injury? Well, besides dehydration, muscles that aren’t properly hydrated tend to perform worse over time, and can cause pulls and strains.
- Injured? TAKE TIME OFF. This one can be a difficult one to swallow. Some of us know the annoyance of having to stop an activity you enjoy due to injury. But it’s for your own good! Let your injury heal.
In need of a Spring body tune up? Schedule an Appointment Today!
If you have any questions, or want a consultation with a professional, feel free to call, or schedule an appointment online at any of our Bergen County or Passaic County offices in New Jersey. Choose from Glen Rock, Franklin Lakes, Fair Lawn, Ho-ho-kus/Ridgewood, and/or Clifton – we make it possible for you to visit any of our offices at your convenience.
We hope you consider our checklist before you get moving – we want an injury free Spring! Bookmark this page on your computer or phone so you can reference it in the future. Better yet, share it with your all friends!